Wednesday, April 4, 2007

GAMES OF COMMAND by Linnea Sinclair


Thought I might as well post this now, since it's ready to go.

It feels like I’ve reviewed this one a bazillion times already! My very first Cyber-Launch party was for GAMES. My first New Release graphic on the Enduring Romance website was for GAMES, and I wrote a little diddy for that too. Heck, I was even wearing my GAMES OF COMMAND sweatshirt when I bought my GAMES OF COMMAND book. It’s official. I’m a junkie. Truthfully, though, GAMES deserves it. If it was just an okay book, I wouldn’t have done any of that stuff.

Captain Tasha Sebastion is no Janeway. She has lots of secrets. She works behind her commanding officer’s back. No wonder her crew gave her a pink t-shirt that says ‘No No Bad Captain’ on it. But, she’s not the only one who has secrets.

Admiral Branden Kel-Paten’s been secretly in love with Tasha for years and he’s finally managed to get her as his second-in-command. The thing is, he’s half machine and half human. He’s terribly insecure about that around her and she has no idea about his true feelings.

A mercenary comes on board and blows everything apart. Tasha and her friends start working behind Kel-Paten’s back. She’s afraid he’ll kill her or something if he finds out she was once a very bad girl. Thankfully, she’s got her pet furzel Tank to help out.

Obviously, this is my favorite Linnea Sinclair book ever. I couldn’t speed-read it at all. It’s Kel-Paten who made it the story that it is. He’s the best hero I’ve read in a looong time. Ironically, he’s the most human hero and the most real. The pain and fear he harbors over his secret love for Tasha made me want to make him a cup of cocoa with marshmellows in it. Consequently, the love scene with Tasha is truly amazing. The entire story from the start built up to it and brought such dimension to their relationship. I understand that every reader has their favorite cup of tea, but Linnea got this aspect of the Romance novel as close to perfection as I’ve ever read. If you write romance, you should read this novel for the example she sets alone.

Linnea Sinclair’s next book comes out this autumn and is entitled DOWN HOME ZOMBIE BLUES. You can learn more about her at www.linneasinclair.com. She also contributes to the aliendjinnromances.blogspot.com on Mondays.

Tune in next week for my review of MY FAVORITE EARTHLING by Susan Grant, another one I Cyber-launched and feel as if I've already reviewed a bazillion times even though I really just finished reading it. This is what happens when you have several favorite authors release new books in the same month!

4 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

You sold me, Kimber An. Looks like I'll be adding yet another book to my huge to-be-read pile... Great review!

Gwyneth

Kimber Li said...

Thank you, Gwyneth. When's your next one coming out? Let me guess - August! Is it just me or do most new releases come out in March and August?

LadyBronco said...

Mine is already on the way!

I can't wait to read it. :0)

Kimber Li said...

Hi, ya, Lady B!