Thursday, December 20, 2007

THE LUXE by Anna Godbersen

*This is NOT a complete review! This novel will be reviewed the first week of January 2008.*

Still trying to figure out what to give the romantics in your life? You might consider THE LUXE by Anna Godbersen. It's labeled a Young Adult Historical, but I'm sure Romance and/or Historical lovers of all ages will enjoy it.
.
It's been a few years since I went through my fascination with the Victorian/Edwardian Era. I read a book called 'To Marry An English Lord.' It was all about American heiresses basically buying noble husbands to boost their families' prestige. The noble husbands had titles and lands, but very little money. The biggest such wedding was between Consuelo Vanderbilt and the Duke of Marlborough. If you read THE LUXE and you know about that real-life story, you'll see the similarities. The Heroine of THE LUXE is a bit more resourceful though, I'd say.
.
I tried to speed-read THE LUXE and was sure I could, since I'm not particularly fascinated with the turn of the 20th century anymore. However, Ms. Godbersen's writing style is so gripping that I could not. I've only read the prologue and skipped ahead to a couple of scenes.
.
I have one word of caution. If the recipient is under 17 and you don't know her well or know her mother well enough to ask if this book's okay to give, don't give it. Although the Hero and Heroine are over the age of consent, deeply in love, and committed to each other, there is no mention of contraception that I've seen. (And, yes, there was contraception available in that time period.) I haven't read far enough to know if there is a realistic portrayel of the consequences (good or bad) of unprotected sex. For an adult book, I have no problem with this. In fact, after being pregnant four times, I'm sick of the topic. I also know there are just as many naive 17 year olds as there are 14 year olds who know better, and that is why we ought to be considerate when giving or recommending any book to a young person. I know the media would have us believe all teens are 'active,' but my younger friends tell me it just isn't so. Assume nothing. Have respect for the family's values. 'Kay?
.
THE LUXE is described as THE GOSSIP GIRLS of the Gilded Age. However, considering that all my younger friends I've asked say they are disinterested, dislike, or absolutely loathe the Gossip Girls, I have to believe this is NOT a good hook to use here. Rather, this is a fun book to read for anyone who loves Historical Romance, particularly those set around 1900. If you loved the movie, TITANIC, for example, you'll love this book - arranged marriage, true love with a poor boy, and fabulous wealth. You can read other reviews at Amazon.com but take them and mine with a grain of salt.
.
P.S. If you're curious about what young people are saying about books these days, pop over to http://kimberan7.tripod.com/kimberannebula and go to the Compelling Profiles page. Some of my younger on-line acquintances were kind enough to enlighten me.
;)

No comments: