Monday, April 19, 2010

Review: Rebels and Lovers by Linnea Sinclair

Rebels and Lovers
by Linnea Sinclair

Genre: Science Fiction Romance
Publisher: Bantam (March 2010)
Price: $7.99 (Kindle: $6.39) 

What I Liked:
The better question is what I didn't like. Because the answer to that question is nothing. It was one of those can't-put-it-down-ers. This is by far one of the best books I have read in a long time. Granted, I haven't read a lot of science fiction, and that was part of what I enjoyed the most, but it was just fantastic. The writing is lyrical without being purple prosey, the plotting is masterful, and the romance is tense and intense. The hero... wow, I don't even know where to begin. Not only do I love the hot nerds to begin with, but I have a thing for guys who like to dance. A serious thing. And this hero has got it all. He's like the perfect Gamma hero. He's trying to discover his emotions, he's as open as he can be, but he's also protective and fiery. And he can do things with computers that you don't even want to know about. Plus, he's got some of the best lines I've heard in a romance novel in a long, long time.

It's obvious how much Linnea Sinclair has built the world up that she writes in, because it just flows seamlessly, and draws you in. The heroine is the first one I've read in a long time that I didn't want to plant somewhere under a rosebush for the majority of the book. I loved her tough character, and even the way she hardened herself because of her past. She was fiesty (without being cartoonish) and vulnerable (without being doormatish). Loved her. I am totally in love with this world, and I'm going back to read the previous three books as soon as I can. Loved it, loved it. I highly recommend you read this book immediately if you haven't yet. It's gonna be a classic, I have a feeling.

Book Blurb:
It’s been two years since Devin Guthrie last saw Captain Makaiden Griggs. But time has done little to dampen his ardor for the beautiful take-charge pilot who used to fly yachts for his wealthy family. While Devin’s soul still burns for Kaidee, she isn’t the kind of woman a Guthrie is allowed to marry—especially in a time of intergalactic upheaval, with the family’s political position made precarious by Devin’s brother Philip, now in open revolt against the Empire. And when Devin’s nineteen-year-old nephew, Trip, inexplicably goes missing after his bodyguard is murdered, this most dutiful of Guthrie sons finds every ounce of family loyalty put to the test.

Only by joining forces with Kaidee can Devin complete the mission to bring Trip back alive. And only by breaking every rule can these two renegades redeem the promise of a passion they were never permitted to explore. At risk? A political empire, a personal fortune, and both their hearts and lives. From Amazon.com.

(P.S. I loved that she included a playlist for her novel at the beginning... I definitely used it, at least the songs I had already. I also highly recommend listening to the Torchwood Soundtrack with this book if you have it. It provided excellent background music to Devin & Makaiden's story.)

6 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Way to go, Rebecca! If you haven't popped over to the Galaxy Express and the SFR Brigade, you ought to.

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I will definitely do that. I'm gonna have to read more of her books!

Kimber Li said...

I let them know about your review at the Brigade.

Kaye Manro said...

This is a great review! Thanks girls for sharing the link on the Brigade. I hope you get many travelers from SFR stopping by.

L. A. Green said...

Ooooohhh, he dances?

Now I gotta put my order on superduper double express!

Great review! Thanks for posting on the SFR Brigade.

Gossip Cowgirl said...

Thanks, Kaye & Laurie, for stopping by. And he does dance. It is *totally* hot. :-)

Aaah, guys who dance... special place in my heart.