Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chicken or the Egg? Finding New and Interesting Books

Good morning, Blog Buds!  This is my Showcase Sunday post.  Not much, I know.  Just more whining from me.  Authors, you don't want a book reviewer to whine.  It's a very bad thing.
Here's my whine-   I'm not finding anything interesting to read in my two favorite genres!  Zip.  Zilch.  Nada.  I can't really come out and tell you what they are without hurting feelings, I'm afraid, but if you scroll down or you've read this blog for a while you'll probably figure it out.  It's not that these books are badly written.  It's that there's nothing new and interesting about them.  The plots, characters, and settings are recycled.
.
It got me wondering about chickens.  I like chickens, by the way.  You know the old saying, "Which came first?  The chicken or the egg?"  Since the economy crashed, publishers are very cautious.  They want the surest of the sure thing.  To Wit-  http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/06/stepping-up-your-game.html   Perfectly understandable.  They need to make money or they die.  We all need to eat sometimes.
.
So, they publish what they know will sell.
.
And authors write what they know publishers will publish.
.
The trouble with all this, in my opinion, is that the readers have little that is new and interesting to read. 
.
*They Stop Buying New Releases.*
.
Instead, they go searching the used bookstores and libraries for new and interesting books they might have missed.
.
The trouble with this is that publishers, and authors and anyone associated with them, only make money on the sale of new books.
.
Methinks the chickens have turned on each other.
.
The bright side of this is that readers and reviewers, like me, are hunting down the 'new and interesting' and if you happen to squeeze one into the market, we're looking for you and we'll be very excited when we find you!  This could propel your book to the top of the heap.
.
So, spiffy up that website, be fun and easy to find, interview and review for, 'kay?
.
Added Later:  After I posted this, it got me thinking.  Maybe the market's ready for another 'phenomena,' like Harry Potter.  Can't imagine what though.

No comments: