Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Review: Love Thine Enemy by Louise M. Gouge

Love Thine Enemy
by Louise M. Gouge

Genre: Inspirational Historical Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Love Inspired
Cost: $4.12

What I Liked:
I liked this book much better than its sequel (which I read first). It was a little slow-going for me in the beginning, but once it picked up, it was really excellent. The love story between Rachel and Frederick was inspiring and beautifully written. The conflict between them was real, and well-done. And of course, it introduced Jamie, who is the hero that I loved so much from the second book in the series.

But Frederick was a different kind of hero. I still enjoyed him, but he was different. Where most are dashing, Frederick is steadfast. Where most are flamboyant in their alpha-ness, Frederick is cautious and true. His character is without reproach, and even when he betrays Rachel's ideals, he thinks he is doing the right thing. And who is to say that he wasn't? Just because we won the war doesn't mean America was "right" and England was "wrong", although I do think the author might disagree. But he followed what he believed to be his moral compass, and so did she.

That's what made this book so interesting. Two highly devout characters in love, with two completely opposite interpretations of morality. Very interesting to me. Of course, he comes around to her way of thinking in the end, but it's an American book, what do we expect? I think I would have been more interested if they would have been able to maintain their differences and still be together. Any relationship where you cannot maintain difference is not a real relationship. Still, the way he turned his mind to agree with her was beautiful, in the end, and although I still felt like it was a betrayal of his character, I can see how he loved her more than he loved his ideals. And there's something to that.

All in all, Rachel Folger was a solid heroine, but it was Frederick who really made this book. He was a hero unlike any other I've read, and I mean that in the best of ways. He didn't have to rely on his physical superiority or his extreme handsomeness (although I believe he had both) to win out in the end. It was his moral fiber, his devotion, and his devoutness that made you love him. He was really fantastic.

Would I rather read Jamie's book again? Probably. Even though I didn't like the book itself as much, I highly preferred Jamie as a hero. But Frederick was a little like Edward Ferrars in S&S. You just can't help but be drawn in by the depth of his character. Fantastic.

Book Blurb:
The tropics of colonial Florida are far removed from America's Revolution. Still, Rachel Folger's loyalties remain with Boston's patriots. Handsome plantation owner Frederick Moberly's faithfulness to the Crown is as certain as his admiration for Rachel—but for the sake of harmony, he'll keep his sympathies hidden. After all, the war is too far distant to truly touch them...isn't it?

A betrayal of Rachel's trust divides the pair, leaving Frederick to question the true meaning of faith in God and in country. Inspired by Rachel to see life, liberty, and love through His eyes, Frederick must harness his faith and courage to claim the woman he loves before war tears them apart. (from the author's website)

3 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Thank you, Rebecca! Gorgeous cover art.

Remember back when I was whining all the time about trying to find good Historicals to read? Well, now that I don't have any time at all to read them and don't review anymore, I'm seeing them all over the place! Waaah!

Ah, well, I know you're here keeping up the good work.

Gossip Cowgirl said...

That's always how it goes, eh? Speaking of which, when does your book come out? I'm excited to read it! :-)

I read a Depression-Era romance the other day that reminded me of you. I can't remember if I reviewed it or not, but if I didn't, I will. That's one I would put high up there on the TBR. :-)

Kimber Li said...

The prequel, CRUSHED SUGAR, is set to release tentatively August 30th. It's a novella. If all goes well, SUGAR RUSH will come out a month later.