Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Review: Star of His Heart by Brenda Jackson

Star of His Heart
by Brenda Jackson

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin (Kimani)
Cost: $6.25

What I Liked:
Holy moly, this woman can write a love scene! Not even just a pretty but mechanical sex scene (as the pros say, "insert tab A in slot B"). No. A *love* scene. You read the chemistry between Ethan and Rachel, and you can feel it for yourself. Wow.

I tend to like my prose to move pretty quickly, and it took me a little bit to get into this book, but man-o-man, once I did, it was very well worth it.

I have to say, this has happened to me several times over the last few months. I've started reading a book with a slower beginning than I prefer, and thought seriously about putting it down after about two chapters. Instead, I stuck through it and WOW, was it worth it. It's starting to make me question my own taste. These books that I "reluctantly" keep reading end up eventually blowing me away. Like this one did. The characters, I just fall in love with and I'm so interested in. I think I'm learning to give authors a little more grace than I used to. Because I've had some great experiences when I "stuck with it" after not being wowed by the opening.

I had heard, of Brenda Jackson, that she had a reputation for writing HAWT heroes, and this time "they" weren't kidding. Ethan was a super hot hero with a heart of gold. I was so in love with him by the end of the book, I kept thinking Accio Ethan. He did not come. :-) But it would have been great if he had, because he was an intriguing, complex, interesting, compassionate hero. Loved it.

Book Blurb:

Drop-dead-gorgeous Ethan Chambers loves his life as Hollywood's most eligible - and elusive - bachelor. Plus, the talented actor has just gotten an offer he can't refuse: a starring role on TV's hit medical drama. But it's the show's sultry makeup and wardrobe director who's got his pulse racing - and making him think twice about staying single.

Getting the gig on Paging the Doctor has thrust Rachel Wellesley into the unwelcome glare of the spotlight. She wants to paint the story, not be the story. But when Rachel starts falling for the show's sinfully sexy star, she knows it's time to get her own heart checked. But how can she give up these passionate nights in Ethan's arms? Now, as the cameras roll and her creative vision comes to life, is Rachel finally ready for her close-up - with the man of her dreams?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Brenda Jackson, so I must read this book. Thanks

Gossip Cowgirl said...

Loved it. I hope you enjoy it, too, Kim.